Author Topic: COOD-E causing lagspikes?  (Read 1704 times)

tuk

• View Profile
COOD-E causing lagspikes?
« on: September 12, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »
Hello!

Lateley i've been getting some bad lagspikes in online computer games. After trying everything to find out what causes this, i found it is the COOD-E!

Both the COOD-E and my PC are connected to a switch, which is in turn connected directly to my ISP's modem. It's all gigabit and good cables.

I ran pingtests and output the result to textfiles (ping -n 999999 google.com > c:\pingtestX.txt). I've done 10 of those tests and let them run a couple of minutes. On 5 tests, the COOD-E was off and there is not a single respons that is higher than 16ms. On the other 5 tests, where the COOD-E is on, there are responses of over 1200 and even 2700ms every 50-80 seconds. This makes online gaming impossible.

I've also disabled all add-ons but the problem persists. For now i just turn off the COOD-E whenever i want to play online games, but i would like to figure out what the COOD-E is doing every 50-80 seconds that causes my whole network to stutter!

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:19:50 AM by tuk »

Jeremy

• TEAM COOD-E
    • View Profile
Re: COOD-E causing lagspikes?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
Hi Tuk,

Seems the SWITCH is the issue to me, as long as you turn off the COOD-E (Standby) it will not contact the network, so can't be the issue.

(i do gaming myself, and trust me, i have 2x COOD-E here at home) no issue's on latency at all.
Just turned 1 on and 1 standby, testing and its all is around 13ms/14ms.

When you keep it on, it will check for updates on the ADDONS.
Or updates for the XML files (the addon files), so that could explain if the switch can't handle the traffic.

And XML files are not large (in size), so it could not cause it.
You only have the PC and COOD-E connected to the switch?

Could you test removing the COOD-E and connect something else? to see if the switch get issue's at that stage?

can't imagine the COOD-E causing this, at all...

Gr, Jeremy

Don't forget to smile everyday.

tuk

• View Profile
Re: COOD-E causing lagspikes?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
Well, if i turn off the COOD-E (standby), then there is no issue. If i turn it on, however, the lagspikes start to occur. The ping is good like 99% of the time (11-16ms) but like i said every 50-80 seconds the respons will be 1-2 seconds! I have been able to reproduce this 10 out of 10 times.

To test out, i disconnected the COOD-E and connected my laptop and started heavy network traffic (torrent); the lag spikes don't occur now! (and yes, i disabled wireless on the laptop, hehe)

I can't imagine the COOD-E is causing it either. Because all my network is gigabit and good cables and hardware, and addon-checks from the COOD-E should be small enough in bandwidth. But after the laptop-test i reconnected the COOD-E and turned it on and again the spikes started to occur. I turn it off, spikes are gone! i have all the logfiles if you want.

Well, i will just turn off the COOD-E while i'm gaming, but sure enough it's really weird!